A birthmark is an area that differs in texture or color from the rest of your skin. It may appear anywhere on your body and is visible at or soon after birth. While most birthmarks are harmless, if there is any concern, an evaluation at OneSkin Dermatology can help identify any issues. As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Rachel Day is skilled in lesion evaluation in infants and individuals of all ages. She will provide guidance on appropriate monitoring or treatment options. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Day to get a birthmark examination for you or your baby.
"I was so nervous and self conscious about going to the dermatologist for the first time and both Dr. Day and her staff were amazing! Dr. Day was super kind and easy going and professional which made the visit a wonderful experience. I love how thorough she is and how she takes time to explain information to you to make sure you understand. Highly recommend her for your dermatologic needs!"- H.R. / Google / Jun 26, 2020
"I cannot speak too highly of Dr. Day and her staff at OneSkin Dermatology. Everyone there is friendly, courteous, and helpful. I have been seeing Dr. Day for my annual checkup for several years and have been impressed with her thoroughness and professionalism. On an occasion when I needed minor surgery, she performed the procedure so quickly and deftly that she was done before I knew she had started. I also admire the confidence and determination she has shown to leave the big corporate healthcare world and start her own practice. In the past, I had tried several dermatologists before seeing Dr. Day. I am confident she is the finest dermatologist in this area."- D.N. / Google / Jul 03, 2020
"Dr day is absolutely wonderful I went in crying my skin was so terrible she got me right in and spent 45 min with me all the staff were incredibly nice and went above and beyond. My skin has started to clear already from severe rosacea which no one else diagnosed. She is compassionate and goes above and beyond my skin started to look less red and smoother within 2 days def have a ways to go but she does not try to sell you expensive washes or creams she is truly there for her patients. I cannot say enough about the team they have there so polite and understanding not like a reg doctors office very relaxed environment and she really takes her time to explain everything to you. If you haven’t been and need to see a wonderful dermatologist def go to her!!"- S.H. / Google / Jun 30, 2020
"Dr. Day is AMAZING!!! I had a baby in November and my skin took a huge toll. Acne flared up and I didn’t know what to do anymore. So I broke down and made an appointment with OneSkin Dermotology. When I first met Dr. Day I was excited, when you see a young doctor you think of new medicine and new treatments. So I was really looking forward to see what my treatment plan would be. Not to mention, the office is BEAUTIFUL and relaxing! She made a wonderful plan for my skin and recommended drug store products that work just as good as the expensive ones! So far we are about a month and a half in and my skin is night and day difference and I am so pleased! We still have some work to do, but it looks amazing! Thank you to Dr. Day and her wonderful and kind team! 100% recommend! Worth the money, but honestly the price is totally affordable!"- C.S. / Google / Mar 06, 2020
"Dr. Day is wonderful - thorough, personable, and she took her time with my visit. The office is beautiful and staff is friendly. I highly recommend it!"- C.M. / Google / Feb 28, 2020
Types of Birthmarks
It is important to have birthmarks checked to help you decide if or how the mark should be treated. Dr. Day will tell you about the type of birthmark and if any abnormalities are present. She can help determine if it's a sign of another condition and provide you with treatment options. The most common birthmarks include:
- Café-au-lait spot (macule): A dark, flat mark that often develops on the butt or hips. The mark typically does not fade on its own.
- Deep hemangioma (cavernous infantile hemangioma): A warm, firm lump under the skin. It can expand fast in the first year, creating bleeding or pain, which needs to be treated immediately. Many deep hemangiomas fade naturally in 5 – 10 years; however, they can leave a scar or mark behind.
- Mole (congenital melanocytic nevus): A raised, brown spot that can develop anywhere on the face and body. Generally, moles do not disappear on their own.
- Mongolian spot (dermal melanocytosis): More common in babies of Asian descent, this birthmark looks like a bruise. Often on the buttocks or low back, the spot usually fades naturally in several years.
- Nevus sebaceous (organoid hamartoma): A hairless, raised patch, typically on the face or scalp. This birthmark can change but doesn't fade naturally.
- Port-wine stain (nevus flammeus): A purple, pink, or red patch, generally found on the face, though it can develop anywhere on the skin. Without treatment, it will remain and may become darker or larger.
- Salmon patch (nevus simplex): Sometimes called a stork's bite or an angel's kiss, these flat spots may be red or pink. Usually present on the neck or face, a salmon patch can fade or disappear naturally in a few years.
- Infantile hemangioma: A rubbery or firm bright-red skin patch that generally forms on the neck or head. It might grow for 4 – 6 months and then fade, shrink, or soften. These often disappear by themselves in 1 – 10 years.
Plan Your Service
Learn about your Birthmark
Whether you've got a birthmark you want to get rid of or you'd like to have more information on your baby's birthmark, schedule an appointment with board-certified dermatologist Dr. Day. She will conduct a comprehensive consultation to provide you with more information about the birthmark and outline possible treatment options. Contact OneSkin Dermatology in Chambersburg, PA to schedule a consultation.