Birthmarks in Chambersburg, PA
A birthmark is an area that differs in texture or color from the rest of your skin. It may appear anywhere on your body and is visible at or soon after birth. While most birthmarks are harmless, if there is any concern, an evaluation at OneSkin Integrative Dermatology can help identify any issues. Our dermatology team is skilled in lesion evaluation in individuals of all ages. She will provide guidance on appropriate monitoring or treatment options. Schedule a consultation with us today to get a birthmark examination.
Types of Birthmarks
It is important to have birthmarks checked to help you decide if or how the mark should be treated. A member of our team will tell you about the type of birthmark and if any abnormalities are present. She can help determine if it's a sign of another condition and provide you with treatment options. The most common birthmarks include:
- Café-au-lait spot (macule): A dark, flat mark that often develops on the butt or hips. The mark typically does not fade on its own.
- Deep hemangioma (cavernous infantile hemangioma): A warm, firm lump under the skin. It can expand fast in the first year, creating bleeding or pain, which needs to be treated immediately. Many deep hemangiomas fade naturally in 5 – 10 years; however, they can leave a scar or mark behind.
- Mole (congenital melanocytic nevus): A raised, brown spot that can develop anywhere on the face and body. Generally, moles do not disappear on their own.
- Mongolian spot (dermal melanocytosis): More common in babies of Asian descent, this birthmark looks like a bruise. Often on the buttocks or low back, the spot usually fades naturally in several years.
- Nevus sebaceous (organoid hamartoma): A hairless, raised patch, typically on the face or scalp. This birthmark can change but doesn't fade naturally.
- Port-wine stain (nevus flammeus): A purple, pink, or red patch, generally found on the face, though it can develop anywhere on the skin. Without treatment, it will remain and may become darker or larger.
- Salmon patch (nevus simplex): Sometimes called a stork's bite or an angel's kiss, these flat spots may be red or pink. Usually present on the neck or face, a salmon patch can fade or disappear naturally in a few years.
- Infantile hemangioma: A rubbery or firm bright-red skin patch that generally forms on the neck or head. It might grow for 4 – 6 months and then fade, shrink, or soften. These often disappear by themselves in 1 – 10 years.
Learn About Your Birthmark
Whether you've got a birthmark you want to get rid of or you'd like to have more information on your baby's birthmark, schedule an appointment with a member of our dermatology team. They will conduct a comprehensive consultation to provide you with more information about the birthmark and outline possible treatment options. Contact OneSkin Integrative Dermatology in Chambersburg, PA to schedule a consultation.
Learn More About OneSkin DermatologyAbout Us
What causes birthmarks?
Can a birthmark go away on its own?
Are birthmarks dangerous to your health?
Not typically. Most birthmarks are benign and harmless, and many types can go away on their own or fade over time; however, they can be a cause of frustration as they can impact self-image and confidence. Our team may advise that some types of birthmarks should be watched for any changes, such as bleeding, pain, itching, dramatic size increases, or infections. Some birthmarks can increase your risk of skin cancer.
Can birthmarks be safely removed?
Have Questions Before Scheduling?Contact Us
OneSkin Integrative Dermatology Reviews
Had a great experience with Tiffany today. She is extremely professional and kind. She allowed me to be involved in the decision making part of my appointment. I always look forward to seeing her. She answers all of my questions, I never feel rushed, and she is just so sweet.
OneSkin has the most welcoming office! The staff are so kind and knowledgeable. You can truly feel there is Heart within the office. I can not wait for my next visit! Thank you!
Dr. Day has been very professionally personable for my daughter. She has a rare skin condition and Dr. Day has done whatever is needed to keep the condition calm and comfortable.
Very welcoming and inviting! Answered all my questions and did a great job! I would definitely recommend.
Scheduled same day appointment, arrived 45 minutes early and was taken back immediately! Was in and out in maybe 20 minutes which was perfect for what I needed. Super nice staff, amazing clean facility! Def recommend!